Monday, September 29, 2008

one small step for man



on a man scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being jodi foster and 10 being 300's king leonidis, i'd normally rate about a 3 or a 4. i don't follow sport, but i do feign an interest if in the presence of other men as this seems to be a key talking point. i have no knowledge of cars but could find the dipstick in a pinch and will recycle comment's i've memorized from the last awkward car-talk moment. i drink beer (now) but generally it's imported and never from a can. i have minimal manual abilities, i can change a light bulb and last year i fixed a blocked sink after 4 days (thanks to howstuffworks i can now tell you the basic principles of how they operate and have a selection of tools available for the job)

recent event's in my life have caused me to re-evaluate my rating for the better
  • i brought a 4 burner bbq with side cooker. i built it myself in an impressive 4 hours. when i cook meat, i am hunter/gatherer and the feeling is akin to killing a saber tooth tiger bare-handed. if anyone knows how to refill a gas bottle, please tell me before i make a knob of myself at the service station.
  • i left the seat up recently. when i noticed this i beamed with pride and refused to put it down until later that afternoon
  • my presence was requested at a recent staff-firing in case things got violent. she left with little fuss
  • i couldn't remember my GFs eye color. i'm not proud of it, but forgetting important details is a sign of manly man
  • i purchased a business shirt with cuff-links. while some may say this could result in a point deduction, the cuff-links look like screws and i look powerful. patrick bateman wore them, and you'd have to say he's manly....or he'd kill you
  • the hulk surfaced in me when i heard that GF's colleague had made a declaration of love at her a week after meeting me. hollow threats were made and he can expect harder then normal handshakes and a raised eyebrow when i see him next
  • after seeing a friend's macho display of pushing the drunk man out of his face on the weekend, i puffed my chest up, barry-whited my voice and appealed for reason. if i remember correctly, i distinctly positioned myself slightly between this threat and GF. protect the clan
of course this rating is pure speculation, i'll need to wait for the next Cosmo survey to see how i officially score

/fin

No comments: