Monday, September 22, 2008

hi I'm ____________

Vilfredo Pareto observed that 80% of Italy's wealth went to 20% of the people. I'm guessing he was part of the 80% that didn't get paid.

in 1941 Dr Joseph "Duran" Juran took this principle and applied it to quality issues, stating 80% of a problem is caused by 20% of the causes.

today, middle managers such as myself are ruled by this principle
  • 80% of their time is spent with 20% of the company's idiots
  • 20% of their time is spent doing the remaining 80% of their workload
  • 80% of their waking day is spent either at work or on the way to work
  • 20% of their waking day is spent emotionally eating or taking some form of legalized drug to numb the pain
80/20 rules my life.

hi I'm pareto.

by day I'm a late 20's something call centre team leader working for a large multi-national company whose reputation with the public is somewhere between minky whale hunters and parking inspectors. if you thought finance company, you'd be correct.

between swimming in our Scrooge Mc'Duck-esque vault and finding farmers to foreclose on, my duties include:
  • counseling. "pregnant again?"
  • tech support. "shut up and reboot"
  • coaching. "try not to screw up so much"
  • recognition. "see that trained chimp over there"
  • rewarding. "have a banana"
  • mentoring. "wearing pants is a good step forward"
  • reporting. "here's an excel spreadsheet"
  • project management. "who's not here today?"
  • time management. "I'd love to attend a meeting on water cooler safety"
at night i return home to my modest 2 bedroom rented house to ponder why the most expensive thing i own is l-shaped and rhymes with "ouch". it is here where i entertain my partner with Stories of Stupid People (TM) that I've encountered and compare against her Stories of Stupid People: Public Sector (TM). the main difference here is that they pay more money for the people we fire, then can't get rid of them for fear of discrimination. "lazy tosser" is now a medical condition and must be treated with paid leave and light duties.

after a moment of silence for the death of our social lives, we log in to a mmorpg and spend the night unleashing our fury killing 30x something or collecting 10x something for several hours. whilst we are shunned for our failure to understand Chuck Norris inspired humor; the fact that our bed-time is a full hour later then theirs makes us gods amongst men.

rule number 1 of a modern day relationship:

couples who raid together stay together

this blog is cheaper than a therapist and helps me believe that I've contributed something to the world other then the pie sandwich concept. back off, it's my idea.

ดูข้อมูลส่วนตัวทั้งหมดของฉัน took the URL I wanted. When I learn what language that's in I'll babel fish him a strongly worded letter that loses all context when translated requesting he release it to me.


/fin

No comments: